Call for Grants: Establishing Albania’s Environmental Information Management and Monitoring System Aligned with the Global Reporting
Aug 20, 2020
UNDP Albania initiated the first hackathon on environmental governance innovation in Tirana through a hackathon that explored innovative solutions to improving Albania’s environmental governance capacity. By working together with a growing civic-minded technology in Albania, the hackathon showed new and collaborative ways of working between the public, private and civic sector to make the most of new digital technology opportunities, and strengthen the capacity of Albanian government and agencies to promote sustainable development and counter the risks of climate change and environmental degradation.
Purpose of the grant and duration
The purpose of this call for grants is to support interested CSOs (Civil Society Organizations) to contribute in improving capacities through innovative solutions to:
1: Identify social opportunities to enhance data-informed policy-making (e.g. hunting quotas, protected areas management, sustainable development goals, Agenda 2030 etc.).
2: Identify opportunities to use project-related data to enhance reporting on the Rio Conventions (e.g. the Biennial Update Report to the UNFCCC, the Report to the Convention on Biological Diversity, and/or the National CCD Report).
3. Mitigating environment monitoring and reporting during global pandemics, or nature related disasters.
4. Opportunities for innovation at local level related to environmental indicators monitoring and reporting considering the following: (i)Automating the bureaucracy (ii) Making the invisible, visible (iii) Reframing the debate (iv) Building capacity of change-makers.
5. “Citizen Science” that could support data collection and advocacy related to global environmental issues.
6. Adapting technology to provide environmental solutions during pandemics.
7. Other topics in line with the project’s aim as described in the I. Background section.
The project will be implemented for the period: September 2020– December 2020.
Applications (grant proposals) in the mandatory form of the template attached (Annex A) must be submitted by CSOs to the UNDP Office in Tirana (email@example.com) no later than 31 of August 2020 in English