Addressing Social Inclusion Through Vocational Education and Training
What is the project about?
Different population groups experience different and overlapping vulnerabilities or face different barriers, as result of the diverse nature of the socio-economic and political forces that determine social exclusion. In Albania, although many improvements have been achieved throughout the economy and poverty levels have been reduced significantly, the vulnerability of some groups still remains an issue. The general decline in poverty rates has not equally benefited the entire Albanian population, and certain groups have not been able to catch up. Vulnerable groups are at higher risk of exclusion from the labor market. Social and economic vulnerability impacts livelihoods of families and puts children at risk of vulnerability trap. Therefore, special attention must be given to these groups in order to understand their characteristics and the mechanisms through wihich their vulnerability is maintained or increased. The intention is to target these groups and design policies that take into account their specificities and help them overcome their vulnerability. The project “Addressing Social Inclusion through Vocational Education and Training” is supported by Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC) and is part of the One UN programme in Albania. It is implemented by UNDP and ILO in partnership with Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Equal Oportunities (MoLSAEO), Ministry of Education and Science (MoES), National and Regional Employment Offices (NES), and the Municipalites of Fier, Lezha and Elbasan The project is designed to facilitate access to vocational education and training for vulnerable groups by both promoting participation in Vocational Education and Training (VET) as well as building the capacities of the national and local institutions to support the inclusion of marginalized and socially excluded groups in the VET system.
The programme also works to further promote better coordination among national and local authorities focusing in three municipalities of Lezha,Elbasan and Fier. In particular, the project works to strengthen the capacities of local structures for:
- Generation of information on vulnerable and marginalised groups at risk of labour market exclusion;
- Capacity development of decision-makers and duty bearers to better design, monitor and evaluate policies, strategies and action-oriented employment programmes for marginalized groups;
- Advocacy, policy dialogue, and awareness raising (including the private sector);
- Design of employment programmes in target municipalities
What have we accomplished so far?
- A national and 3 regional studies on vulnerable groups at risk of being excluded from labor market are completed and presented to key stakeholders .
- A Practical Guide for NES Staff to address the needs of Disadvantaged and Vulnerable Groups through targeted Active Labour Market Programmes and Vocational Education and Training and series of training for 56 representatives of National Employment Offices from the 3 regions to address the needs of Disadvantaged and Vulnerable Groups through targeted Active Labour Market Programmes and Vocational Education and Training has been accomplished
- Good practices on social inclusion in Europe, in the Balkans, and in Albania have been collected and disseminated to all key stakeholders in the three selected regions.
- 60 VET instructors and teachers in the 3 regions are trained on delivery modalities specific to the needs of the target groups.
- Skills Needs Analyses to identify labour market demand and economic opportunities has been carried out in all 12 regions
- A policy document: a bottom – up approach in addressing the needs of vulnerable groups at risk of social exclusion has been developed and presented to the key stakeholders at National level.
- Awareness raising activities on fulfillment of legal obligation and corporate social responsibility are organised in the three targeted areas.
Who finances it?
Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC) and UNDP