The UN Support to Social Inclusion in Albania
What is the programme about?
The programme “Support to Social Inclusion in Albania” aims at assisting in the effective elaboration and implementation of the Government of Albania's new Strategy for Social Inclusion and Social Protection. It supports the Albanian Government in establishing an extended dialogue with social partners in the country and the European Commission.
Main emphases is put on building capacities of institutions at central and local levels and enhance participation of civil society and citizens as rights holders in the national social inclusion processes. The programme encourages the further development of local initiatives to reduce inequalities and promote social and economic inclusion for vulnerable groups. It aims at increasing the knowledge and public awareness, including local authorities and community members, about the rights of persons with disabilities, as well as to partner with civil society organizations in implementing illustrative community level interventions. Such interventions include anti-discriminatory measures for groups vulnerable to social and economic exclusion.
The programme pays special attention to the support for the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and adopts a mainstreaming approach of Roma issues throughout its components.
The programme is funded by the Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC) and is part of the Government of Albania - UN Programme of Cooperation 2012-2016. It is implemented by UNDP, UNFPA, UNWOMEN, UNICEF, UNODC, UNAIDS, IOM in partnership with Ministry of Social Welfare and Youth (MoSWY)
What we do?
- Generate knowledge for evidence-based social inclusion policies
- Strengthen policy management capacities of the Ministry of Social Welfare and Youth, line ministries and de-concentrated units to implement the Social Inclusion and Protection Strategy.
- Enhance implementation capacities of regional and local governance mechanisms to implement inclusive policies.
- Support marginalized groups to demand and exercise their rights to equal access to services.
The interventions are coordinated with other ongoing initiatives, in Albania and regional level, targeting marginalized groups to avoid any potential overlap and maximize the impact of complementary efforts.
Who finances it?
This programme is supported by Swiss Development Cooperation
- Programme start date
- 6 September 2013
- Project end date
- 31 December 2016
- Geographic coverage:
- Focus Area
- Economic and Social Inclusion
- Ministry of Social Welfare and Youth
- Focal point
- Anduena Shkurti-National Programme Coordinator